A Mila’s Meals recipe by Catherine Barnhoorn – Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and mom to Mila. This recipe was first mentioned in our Gut Healing Blog – 4 Steps to a healthy gut for your child and is sure to make gut healing a treat!
When it comes to gummy flavours you are only limited by your imagination! You can use any freshly pressed fruit juice – besides pineapple juice that is. The digestive enzymes in pineapple juice prevent the gelatin from setting.
These gummies have a tart flavour due to the vitamin C powder. If your little one is a fan of sour sweets, add an additional tablespoon of the powder or omit if you want sweet only gummies.
These are a great protein-rich addition to school lunch boxes!
Key: gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, egg-free, grain-free, nut-free, paleo, for adults too, great for lunch boxes
(For non-South African folk… Naartjies are Mandarins)
Product featured: Great Lakes Gelatin
Product featured: Acerola Vitamin C powder
- 2 ½ Tablespoons Gelatin
- 2/3 cup fresh naartjie juice (split in half)
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon Acerola Vitamin C powder
- Place 1/3 cup naartjie juice in a bowl with the gelatin powder and Acerola Vitamin C powder. Stir to combine.
- Place the remaining 1/3 cup naartjie juice in a saucepan and heat over low heat until hot (not simmering).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the honey.
- 4. Pour the warm mixture into the cold mixture and whisk to melt all the Gelatin.
- Place your gummy moulds onto a tray or plate.
- Spoon the mixture into the moulds one at a time.
- Place the gummies in the fridge to set.
- Once set, they will stay firm at room temperature (unless it is a very hot day) but are best stored in the fridge in a sealed container.
- They will last in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Enjoy the Gummies!
Wishing you and your little one’s vibrant health and happy guts,
Catherine & Mila
Disclaimer: Each person’s physical, emotional, and spiritual condition is unique. The information in this article is intended for your educational use only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult your doctor for matters pertaining to your specific health and diet. The author of this article is not held responsible for any adverse effects or consequences resulting from the use or misuse of any information, suggestions or procedures described herein. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.